Located on Main Street, St. Louis is the oldest Catholic parish in the Diocese of Buffalo. Designed by Schikel and Ditmar in 1886-1889, the 245 foot tall steeple includes a 72-foot-tall, pierced spire, reportedly the tallest open-work spire ever built completely of stone without reinforcement. It is reputed to be the only remaining pierced spire in the United States.
HHL Architects prepared a restoration master plan, after which we designed new transept entry vestibules for weather protection and handicapped access. Exterior restoration of the sandstone followed.
The most recent activity included the restoration of the interior including major plaster repair, new lighting, and decorative painting.