HHL Architects prepared a master plan, which included site evaluation and selection, programming and concept building design, for a new County Court Building. The County ultimately decided to use the existing historic Old County Hall campus site for the Civil Courts, the Annex (25 Delaware Avenue) for the Criminal Courts, and 77 West Eagle for auxiliary functions. HHL Architects then designed the renovation of the three (3) buildings located on the County campus in Downtown Buffalo.
Old County Hall, a National Register of Historic Places property, was built in 1876 and includes Grover Cleveland’s former Mayoral office. The building was renovated and restored to house the County Legislature, County Clerk, Surrogate Court, Civil Courts and Courts Administration.
The 1960s era Annex (25 Delaware Avenue) was completely renovated to be the primary Courthouse, including: new Criminal Courts, Court Clerk, Jury Selection, and the District Attorney.
The adjacent 77 West Eagle was renovated to serve as the Law Library, including a Day Care facility.